The Derelicte Bus - The Saga Begins!

I just arrived in Del Rio, TX. The Air Force has deemed it a good fit for my next base. Immediately upon arrival I flew to Orlando Florida to pick up my bus. Skoolie.net's EastCoastCB was selling his 1992 Ward Senator to finance a couple other projects in his life, and his upcoming wedding as well!



But first, a little about me:

Before I commissioned in the Air Force, I taught kitesurfing lessons in Chicago and worked at homeless shelters. Sleeping in a 2005 Dodge Caravan was a necessity in order to catch the sunrise winds in Chicagoland. Sleeping next to my kite gear I grew very accustomed to living with very few belongings or requirements. I lived for the wind... but that didn't pay my student loans, so I joined the Air Force. With the amount that I move in the Air Force and given how much I'd love to eventually go wherever the wind takes me, a skoolie is the perfect living space.

My Goals:

1. Save money
2. Have a smaller living footprint
3. Remove attachments to things
4. Follow the wind

Among other issues encountered simply leading up to the purchase of the beast, the foremost was insurance. I was fortunately able to acquire a commercial policy with Progressive for private use. Basically, I can't carry any passengers.... Not that I could if I wanted to anyway!
 
See, no seats!

After spending an extra day with Charlie and Roxy (thanks again for all the hospitality!) I finally got my temporary insurance and headed to the Florida Tax office for my transit tag. Some states, like Florida and Texas, make it very easy to get transit tags. All you have to do is provide proof of insurance and you can move the vehicle. In Florida, the tag is valid for a whole month for $5... which is amazing compared to $25 for one week in Texas.

My next post will be my experience driving to Del Rio, Texas! 

Comments

  1. This is the most interesting reading that I've done in a long time, Keith.
    You have a fan, here. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to ask questions and share. This'll be one cool surf-mobile. I'll add in a heated exterior shower as well for rinsing away beach detritus. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts