Driving a 40 Foot School Bus is Not for the Faint of Heart

I drove the beast back from Florida over the course of 48 hours. It was long. It was cold. It was terrifying... but only at first.

There were a few things I didn't know I would contend with:

1. Fishtailing - With the drive wheels in the back, the bus would pull heavily into rumble strips or gravel on the roadside. Over-correction is necessary to get the bus back onto the roadway, but small adjustments to prevent it are much better. Staying very awake and alert is the best way to prevent going into the shoulder.

2. Exhaustion - I had read that driving a bus this large could be exhausting. My right knee was tight for a good day or so after the 1,300 mile drive. I went for a run and the stiffness went away. I'm aware that at 27 this is somewhat expected. I wouldn't imagine that knee pain to go away sooner for someone much older though.

3. Visibility - The stock headlights on the bus aren't very good. When I was in pitch black Texas, they worked just fine, but whenever another vehicle was behind me or oncoming from the other direction, I had to focus entirely on the solid white line on the right.

4. Tires - The right rear drive tires were not in good shape until I replaced them. There was very little tread left on them, and I can't imagine how awful it would have been to drive with them had I not gotten new ones. The rear of the bus feels very slippery... new tires made it better, I'm sure.

5. Mirrors - This one goes without saying, but just to over-emphasize it, make sure your mirrors are in working condition and are actually useful from where you're sitting. There's very little that can make you feel better than a quick glance in the mirrors to remember where cars/semis are relative to your position.

I slept in a sleeping bag overnight.
After the 1,300 mile drive from Florida, I'm anticipating some aches and pains from the bus. As it turns out, the rear right axle seal needs to be replaced or resealed. The front axle amber warning light has come on periodically and I'll need to troubleshoot that as well. The vehicle is in great shape overall though with only minor work needed to keep her in good shape. I'll have to replace hoses and other various seals and fittings in the engine area.

Comments

  1. You actually picked a cool one. Are you keeping it yellow? Maybe paint a kite board mural on it? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts